This step-by-step washer repairs guide will help you replace the drain pump in a top-load Kenmore washer. Check your washer’s drain for obstructions. The next step is to examine the drain hose and determine whether there’s a kink. If the drain and drain hose are clear, replace the drain pump with a manufacturer-approved washer part if the pump runs but doesn’t pump out the water, or if it doesn’t run at all because the motor no longer works.
Replace the Kenmore drain pump on top-loading washers
1. Shut off power and water. Unplug the power cord to the outlet on the wall. Switch off the water supply valves to the washer. Make sure your hands are protected with gloves. Ask someone to assist you in moving the Kenmore washer away from the wall.
2. Connect the hoses. Mark which fillhose goes to which connector. With the help of channel lock pliers be careful to loosen and then remove the fill hoses. You can expect some water to spill out. Take the drain hose off of the standpipe behind the washer. There is a chance for water to leak out.
3. Lay the washer carefully onto its front panels. Moving the Kenmore washer to an area where you can work. Lay towels or cardboard on top of the washer to avoid scratching the front of the Kenmore washer. Be sure to tilt the Kenmore washer to the side and place it on its front side so it is possible to reach the drain pump from below the washer.
4. Remove the drain pump: Make use of pliers to remove the clamp that holds the drain pipe. The drain hose is to be removed from the drain pump. Remove the cover that covers the wire harness plug that is on the drain pump. The drain pump’s wiring harness plug is able to be removed from its receptacle. Unbolt the three bolts that attach the drain pump to the top of the washer tub. Take the pump off and set aside for disposal.
5. Install the new drain pump Install the drain pump on the top of the Kenmore washer. Secure it with the 3 bolts. Connect the wire harness to the receptacle of the new pump. Cover the wire harness connection. The drain hose should be placed on the outlet of the drain pump. Secure it with the spring clamp.
6. Set the washer sideways. Move the washer closer to the fill hoses as possible to allow them to be reconnected.
7. Reinstall the fillhoses: Attach the fillhoses to the connectors on the Kenmore washer’s back. Use a pair channel lock pliers to tighten the connections.
8. Repair the power and water: Turn on the valves for water supply. If you notice an issue, tighten the connection. Connect the washer to an electrical outlet. Restore the Kenmore washer in its original location.
In the end, replacing the Kenmore drain pump in top-load washers is an intimidating task, but if you have the correct tools and instruction the task can be completed by anyone. The process includes disconnecting the water and power supply in order to access the pump, then setting up the new pump.
It is essential that you must unplug your Kenmore washer prior to beginning repairs. If you’re unsure about any aspect of the process you must consult the manufacturer’s manual or contact a professional for assistance. It is possible to repair your Kenmore washer to function again with a bit of patience and a bit of time. Be sure to inspect the washer for leaks after replacing the drain pump.