It’s frustrating and time-consuming to fix the problem of a Maytag washer that isn’t able to start. There are many steps that you can try to solve the issue.
In this post, we’ll look at the common causes of a Maytag washing machine timer that doesn’t advance and provide step-by step instructions on how to fix the problem. No matter whether you’re a skilled DIYer or new to DIY home repairs, this article will assist you in getting your Maytag washing machine up and functioning again within a matter of minutes.
The lid switch acts as a security option on top loading Maytag washing machines. The lid switch is typically placed under the main top, and has a projection on the lid or a pin that is attached to the lid that will actuate the switch when the lid is shut. The motor circuits and the timer are powered by the lid switch. How do you test the lid switch on aMaytag washing-machine using the multimeter
- Unplug your Maytag washing machines.
- Locate the lid switch by getting rid of the top panel or cabinet.
- After finding the switch you must begin by verifying that the levers or actuators are damaged or stuck and that the switch is being active mechanically when the lid is closed.
- If there is no issue after the above check You can switch off from the switch, and then adjust the Rx1 setting on your multimeter. Hold the switch’s button. Set the probes at the switch’s terminals. It should show a reading of zero. 5.If you get a different reading, then you’ll need an replacement switch lid.
Timer and Timer Motor:
The timer manages the functions of the Maytag washer. The timer is comprised of several electrical contacts that are operated by a cam assembly which is advanced by a timer motor. The timer motor is controlled by a few of the contacts. If the timer on your washer will not advance it is possible that the timer or motor might be malfunctioning. How to check the motor and timer in a Maytag washer using a multimeter
- Connect your Maytag washing machine from the power source.
- Locate and take the timer on your appliance. You’ll have to take out both the control panel and back panel in order to get access to it.
- Set your multi-meter’s Rx1 setting and then connect the probes to the terminals which control the motor (refer to the wiring diagram). The test is for continuity. You should get the reading as zero or nearly zero.
- If your test produces different results, you will require an replacement timer.
Control of water level
The water level control feature on Maytag washing machines allows the user to turn on and off the water valve at certain levels and also to provide electricity to the timer motor to alter the water level. If the washer fills up but the timer fails to advance you may have a problem with the water level switch. How to inspect the water level control in a Maytag washing machine
- As you’ll work using electrical parts, it’s important that you unplug the machine prior to you begin.
- Before you can determine if the switch may be malfunctioning take out the air dome tube. To locate and remove the air domehose, take the cabinet out. Place the hose into water, then seal the other end, and blow air into the other, watching for bubbles throughout. You should also examine the hose for evidence of wear, cracks or obstructions.
- If you have not found any problems, you may need to get a replacement water-level switch.
Timer Knob & Dial & Skirt
The timer dial or knob is attached to the shaft that controls the timer, and will rotate when the timer goes through a loop. You may also pull out the knob to turn on the timer’s switch. The timer knob is typically made of plastic and reinforced by a keyed insert. Regular use could result in the knob to break or wear out, making it impossible to rotate with the shaft of the timer. This could make it more difficult to establish the right timer for the desired cycle. The cause is that the dial not to move along with the shaft as the cycle progresses. How to examine the timer knob in the Maytag washing machine:
- Remove the Maytag washer from its electrical source.
- To locate the timer knob you’ll need to take off the cabinet, or rear panel to reach the back.
- To make sure the timer is engaged, inspect the knob by taking it out and pressing into.
- If it’s not engaging then you’ll need new knobs.
A drain pump is a piece of equipment that removes water from the Maytag washing machine tub following the wash and rinse portions. If the drain pump fails the Maytag washing machine will not know that the tub has been empty and might not be able to advance to the next phase of the cycle. If your washer stalls at the end of the rinse or wash portion of the cycle, examine the drain pump is functioning in a proper manner. If it does, electronic models may display an error code.
If you’re Maytag machine is flashing an error code You can look up our list of commonly used appliance fault codes to identify the cause. What is the best way to inspect the drain pump in the drain pump of a Maytag washing machine?
- Unplug the Maytag washer.
- Locate your drain pump. To access the pump, you’ll need to lift off the front of the appliance.
- Once you’ve located the pump, inspect all hoses and connections to check for leaks or damage.
- If the leak is coming through the pump, then you’ll need the new pump.
Water Inlet Valve
The water inlet valve supplies cold and hot water to Maytag washers throughout fill parts. At minimum, two solenoids are required to open the valve. The valve for water inlet could be the cause if your washer stops working during the cycle and stalls during the rinse fill or wash phase. Make sure there aren’t any kinks within the hoses that enter into the water and they are free of restrictions.
If everything is in order You can then test the integrity of the solenoids by using an instrument such as a multi-meter. How do I check the valve for water inlet of a Maytag washing machine with an instrument like a multimeter.
- Before you start the Maytag washer, ensure that it’s not connected.
- Find the valve for water inlet and pull it out. It is likely to be located right behind the hose connectors It is necessary to take off all or a portion of the cabinet to get to it.
- The screen of the valve to check for accumulations or debris. If they are damaged, you’ll need to replace them.
- Take a look at your pump to find any indications of wear or damage, if none are found, set your multi-meter to Rx1 then attach your probes on the terminals. Check your manual for details on what this test can reveal as it differs from one model to the next.
- If your reading is outside the prescribed range, and you are reading infinity, or if the valve is visibly damaged and you require replacement valves. replacement valve for the water inlet.