If your Frigidaire washing machine isn’t moving during the washing cycle, it could be frustrating and time-consuming to have to wash your clothes by hand. There are some steps that you can follow to fix the issue yourself, rather than making an appointment with a specialist or purchasing a new washer. In this article, we’ll guide you through the most typical causes of a Frigidaire machine that isn’t stirring and offer detailed instructions on how to address the issue. From a worn drive belt to a faulty lid switch, we’ll discuss it all, thereby making your life easier and saving cost in the process. If your Frigidaire washer isn’t moving you’re worried. We will help you fix it.
In the top-loading Frigidaire washing machine, the agitator moves the clothes through the water and detergent. It is powered by an output shaft of the transmission. To ensure a secure fit, the output shaft is typically divided into spline. The center of the plastic agitator has a matching spine. The agitator can be either single-piece or a dual-action agitator, dependent on the manufacturer. How to inspect anFrigidaire washing-machine agitator:
- Disconnect your Frigidaire washing machine from power sources.
- Take off the dispenser for fabric softeners or top cover, based on the model, in order to gain access to the agitator. Try to manually turn the agitator. There should be some resistance once it has been getting splined.
- To look at the agitator more carefully, take it off the appliance. The bolt that threads into top of transmission shaft holds most agitators in place. Certain models come with a set screw just above the base, which secures the motor to its shaft. Some models use the O ring of rubber to ensure a tight fit.
- It is necessary to replace a Frigidaire agitator If your agitator is damaged or worn out on any of its components, particularly on the splines.
Agitator Directional Gears
Top loading Frigidaire washers that have a dual-action agitator can cause the upper part of the agitator’s motor to be disconnected from its lower. Cogs that are made of plastic and hard also known as “dogs” are what drive the upper section of the agitator. They can wear down due to heavy use. If the upper section of your agitator is turning in any direction, or make sounds that grate during the wash cycle, then the directional cogs might need to be replaced. How to test the directional cogs on theFrigidaire washer:
- Unplug your Frigidaire washing machine and then take out the fabric softener dispenser or top cover, based on the model you have.
- Locate your agitator cogs. You may have to take off the agitator cap, base or top, according to the model you have for access to the cogs.
- Check the cogs’ appearance for wear, discoloration, or any other damage. Also, check to make sure there are no cogs missing.
- If your cogs show any of the signs mentioned above, you’ll require a set of Frigidaire replacement cogs for directional use.
Agitator Coupler & Cap & Bolt
Some models of top loading Frigidaire washers use a coupler that connects the transmission shaft and the agitator. In order to align the transmission the drive coupler must be divided into two parts: inside and outside. The drive coupling may be damaged if your Frigidaire washer produces a grinding sound during wash cycles or the agitator isn’t moving freely. How to inspect the agitator coupler in aFrigidaire washing machine:
- Before beginning turning off your Frigidaire washer.
- To get to the coupler for the agitator, you’ll have to first take off the top cover or fabric softener dispenser, according to the model. After that, you’ll need to remove the agitator.
- Take the coupler off the appliance by unthreading the bolt securing it to the transmission shaft. Examine the coupler for cracking, wear, burnt corrosion, damage, and cracks.
- You’ll require Frigidaire replacement coupler in the event of any of these issues.
Direct Drive Motor Couple
Top load washers by Frigidaire utilize direct drive motor couplings to transfer power from the motor into transmission. The drive coupling links the motor and the transmission. It’s comprised of 2 plastic drive forks with a rubber coupling between them. One drive fork is connected to the drive motor shaft , and the other one is connected to the input shaft of the transmission. The rubber coupling between drive forks absorbs the torque generated by the motor shaft rotating to stop them from breaking. The normal use of the forks will cause wear to the coupling. In the end the drive forks may slip and fail to connect with the transmission or clutch. A common symptom of a failing motor coupling is when the washing machine drains and fills normal, but it does not agitate or spin. How to inspect the direct drive motor coupling of aFrigidaire washing machine:
- Before you begin, disconnect your appliance from the source of power.
- Find and remove the motor coupling , so that you can inspect it. To get it in you’ll have to open the cabinet of your Frigidaire cabinet for the washer, and you might also have to remove the drain pump and/or motor depending on your model.
- Once you have removed the item, check the coupling for any signs of wear, scratching, cracking, etc.
- It is recommended to replace the direct drive motor coupling Frigidaire in the event that you encounter any of these signs.
Top loading Frigidaire washers come with an engine that drives the transmission. If the machine isn’t moving as it should, then the belt might be at fault. How to find out if yourFrigidaire washing-machine drive belt should be replaced:
- Unplug your Frigidaire washer and remove the access panel or cabinet to locate the drive belt.
- The clamps can be removed which secure the belt in place and take the drive belt off the drive motor.
- Visually inspect your drive belt. Find signs of fraying, wear or other signs of damage to the drive belt.
- If your belt shows any of the symptoms described above, you need an Frigidaire replacement drive belt.
The transmission in a top load Frigidaire washer is responsible changing the rotational motion of the motor into the forward and back motions for the agitator. The transmission has an input shaft which is controlled by the motor directly or through belts, as well as an output shaft to control the agitator. If the drive shaft for the agitator does not oscillate then you should first check that the input shaft being driven. If the input shaft is turning, but the agitator shaft isn’t turn then the transmission is not working properly. The majority of manufacturers don’t supply internal components and a full transmission will be required. It is also recommended to replace the tub seal which is situated at the point where the shaft enters the tub. How do you inspect the transmission of a Frigidaire washing machines:
- Before you examine your transmission be sure the problem isn’t due to the agitator, or any other component. Once you have eliminated the possibility of an issue with the agitator remove your washer from the cabinet and take it out of the cabinet. Next, locate your transmission.
- Once you’ve identified the issue with the transmission reconnect it and run the wash cycle to verify that the problem is solved. A faulty transmission will make odd noises when operating. Be cautious when you perform this procedure since the internal parts of your dryer will be exposed.
- You will need a replacement Frigidaire transmission when the transmission starts to become noisy.
All top load washers made by Frigidaire have a motor to drive the transmission for agitating. A lot of Frigidaire washing machine brands use a reversing motor, which signifies that the motor turns in one direction for agitation while the opposite direction is used for draining and spinning. Motors may work in the spin direction, but not towards the direction of agitation. What is the procedure to check the drive motor inside aFrigidaire washing machine
- Unplug the power source of your Frigidaire appliance prior to starting as you’ll be handling electrical components.
- To locate the motor, unplug the cabinet from the Frigidaire washer. To take the motor out of your appliance, it is necessary to pull on the connectors , not the wires.
- The multimeter must be set to Rx1 mode. Verify continuity by placing the probes over the motor’s terminals. A reading should be zero or close to zero.
- To test the ground connection To test the ground connection the terminal and place the other one inside the metal housing of the drive motor. You should not receive any indication from this test.
- If your readings differ from those mentioned above, you need an Frigidaire replacement drive motor.
The drive motor is controlled using the timer lid, water level, as well as selector switches. The function of the timer is to supply the right amount of power to turn the motor on in the right direction. If the motor that drives your washer does not receive electricity during the wash phase of the cycle, then the timer could be in error. How do you check the timer on theFrigidaire washing machine using a multimeter:
- Like most repairs, disconnect the power source of your Frigidaire washer’s power source.
- Remove the control panel and the rear panel of your appliance in order to locate the timer.
- Make sure to disconnect the wires that are connected to the timer by pulling the connectors made of metal instead of the wires and remove the timer from the washer to test it.
- To check continuity, you can use a multimeter and the setting Rx1. The reading should read or close to zero.
- If you do not get this reading, you’ll need a Frigidaire replacement timer.
The lid switch is a safety feature that is available on top-loading Frigidaire washing machines. The motor circuit is connected to the lid switch, which is usually situated under the top of the machine. It must be activated to permit the motor’s operation. If the lid is closed, a projection or pin on the lid is pushed against the lever on the lid that closes the switch. The lid switch must be examined if the Frigidaire washer does not agitate or the motor does not receive any power. How to check the lid switch in aFrigidaire washing machine:
- Start by disconnecting your Frigidaire washing machine, and then , remove the top cabinet or panel.
- Find the switch and make sure that it’s turned on by closing the lid. If it isn’t, take off the switch to test it.
- Set your multi-meter to the Rx1 setting, connect the probes to terminals and then hold the switch button. The multi-meter should display a reading zero or nearly zero.
- You’ll require a replacement Frigidaire lid switch when the results of your tests are different.
Some models have a selector switch that regulates the speed of motor. If the switch is damaged, it might prevent the motor from working. How to test the selector switch of theFrigidaire washing machine with the multi-meter:
- Unplug the Frigidaire washing machine prior to beginning since you’ll be handling electrical components.
- Locate and remove the selector switch from your Frigidaire appliance. It’s likely that it’s attached to the frame of your Frigidaire washer machine. To access the cabinet, you will need to take it out of its entirety or a fraction of it.
- It is possible to test for continuity using a multimeter using the Rx1 setting. Place the probes on the terminals, and then press the first button. The reading will change from infinity to zero. Connect the probes to terminals and press a different button. The reading will return to zero.
- It is necessary to replace the Frigidaire selector switch if the results of your tests differ from those listed above.
Water Level Switch
The water level switch of a top-load Frigidaire washer can be utilized to determine the proper water level. It also functions to supply power to the drive motor. The switch is used to shut off the valve that opens the water to lower power consumption and provide power to the drive motor circuit. The pressure switch may be the problem if your washer is not filled and does not shake. How to test the level of water in a Frigidaire washer.
- Remove your Frigidaire washing machine from the power source.
- The switch for water level is usually located behind the control panel , but could also be located at the sump below the tubs.
- Before you replace the switch, be sure to take off the air dome hose. Take the hose off and immerse it in water. Then seal one end, then blow air into the other and observe for bubbles. Also, examine for problems or signs of wear.
- If your air dome hose isn’t leaking, you might need an upgrade to the water level switch from Frigidaire.