The Whirlpool washer maintenance manual gives step-by-step directions to change the lid switch and lock assembly on a top-load Whirlpool washer. The lid switch on the washer detects whether it is closed or shut. When the lid is open and closed, the Whirlpool washer won’t start. The lid is held in place during the process by the lock. If the lid switch, or lock, isn’t functioning properly and the light for the lid lock blinks, then the washer might require a replacement lid switch, or lock. We suggest that you consult a technician from your local washer to determine the cause of any other problems. If the lid switch/lock assembly is faulty, replace the assembly with a manufacturer-approved washer part.
This guide applies to vertical modular washers. Vertical modular washers come with an extremely fast spin speeds , which removes water from the load. The lid is kept closed to guard against the rotating components. Replace the lock on the lid of a top-loading Whirlpool washer
- Switch off the water and electricity. Unplug the power cord from the wall outlet. Switch off the water supply valves for the Whirlpool washer. Make sure your hands are protected with gloves. Request assistance from someone else to remove the washer away from the wall.
- The top panel must be lifted. Cover the lid with tape to ensure that it won’t pop open and result in damage to the control console. To gain access to the console’s back you need to pull the Whirlpool washer toward your. The screws that hold the top of the Whirlpool washer’s back together have been taken off. Remove the wire cover, then remove the screw. Slide the top panel approximately 1/2 inch forward and then raise the front panel by about one quarter inch. The panel should remain slightly elevated and then push it back a quarter inch to unhook the brackets. The top panel is able to be lifted and positioned against the wall behind a Whirlpool washer.
- Take the lid switch and lock off the top panel. Utilizing a 1/4-inch nut driver, remove the two mounting screws which secure the lid switch and lock to the top panel. The lid switch/lock assembly is able to be taken off from the top panel. The wire harness is still holding the lid switch and lock assembly. At present, let it hang on wire harness. To take the wire harness clips on the top panel make use of the slot screwdriver. The white wire harness clip made of plastic is on the back of the panel. The wire harness remains connected to the electronic control board inside the console. The plastic clip with the white color must be taken off from the top of the panel. Do not pull or remove the wire harness until you are ready.
- Open the control console. Lower the top panel and then place it on the top of the Whirlpool washer. To gain access to the console’s back panel, push the washer towards the front. Two screws on the top of the back panel have been taken out. To remove the mounting clip move the control panel forward and move a knife under the right-hand corner. To remove the console follow the same procedure to the left. Set the console on the top of the Whirlpool washer.
- The lid switch/lock is turned off. Find the connector for wire harness that connects to the lid switch/lock . It is located on the back of the control board. Unlock the locking tab and then pull the wire harness connector for the lid switch and locking assembly from the control board’s receptacle. The wiring for the lid switch/lock assembly harness must be threaded into the hole in the bottom of your top panel. The lid of the washer can be opened by release of the tape. Switch the lock on the lid of the washer out. Close the lid again.
- Install the new lid switch and lock assembly. The console should be re-snapped to its clips for mounting. Then, move the Whirlpool washer toward the wall behind. The top panel is able to be lifted up and placed on the Whirlpool washer’s back wall. The wire harness’s end must be pushed into the opening inside the top of the panel. The white plastic wire harness clip must be inserted into the hole. The wire harness must be routed through the side panel on the upper panel. Attach the wire harness by securing the clips to the edges of the panels on top. Install the lid switch and lock assembly on top of the panel. Attach it using the screws for mounting. Lower the top panel. The panel should be pulled back by about one quarter inch to lock the brackets. To secure the panel in place with the frame, move the panel back by a quarter inch. To gain access to the control board’s electronic circuit, remove the clips and raise the console. Attach the wire harness to the correct connector of the electronic controller board. The tab that locks should click into place.
- Reinstall the console: Set the console on top of the top panel and then attach the mounting clips to secure it to the top panel. Install the screws on the top of the back panel, and then tighten the screws.
- Install the screws for the back panel once more: Install the screws on top of the control console’s hinges. The screws must be tightened. The tabs must be placed on the left side. Then place the slots to the left side. Install the mounting screw. The wire cover is secured by tightening the screw for mounting.
- Switch on the valves for water supply to restore power and water. Connect the Whirlpool washer to the outlet. Reinstall the Whirlpool washer to its original location. It is now possible to change the lid switch/lock assembly on the top-loading Whirlpool washer. It’s likely that the lid switch or lock isn’t working properly or the light for the lid lock flashes, which may indicate the need for replacement.