This Kenmore washer repair guide provides step-by-step directions for replacing the lid switch/lock assembly on a top load Kenmore washer. The washer’s lid switch detects whether it is closed or shut. When the lid is opened it will mean that the Kenmore washer won’t be able to start. The appliance also comes with an lock that keeps the lid securely locked throughout the cycle. If the lid switch or lock doesn’t work correctly, and the lid lock light flashes, the washer might require a replacement switch for the lid or lid lock. It is recommended that you let a local washer technician identify any other issues. If the lid switch/lock assembly is faulty, replace the assembly with a manufacturer-approved washer part.
This guide applies to vertical modular washers. Vertical modular washers are equipped with the ability to spin at extremely high speed that draws water out of the. The lid is kept locked to protect you against the spin components. Replace the lid lock of a top-load Kenmore washer
- Switch off the electricity and water: Unplug the power cord to the wall outlet. Switch off the water supply valves to the Kenmore washer. Make sure your hands are protected with gloves. Ask someone to assist you in moving the washer away from the wall.
- The top panel needs to be lifted. Tape the lid closed to prevent it from opening and cause damage to the console. Lift the Kenmore washer forward, allowing access to the rear of the control console. Remove the top screws from the hinge brackets and the side of the Kenmore washer. Remove the wire cover and then take off the screw. The top panel should be moved about half an inch forward and then raise the front panel approximately a quarter inch. Keep the panel slightly raised and then push it back a quarter inch before removing the brackets. The top panel is able to be lifted and placed against the wall behind a Kenmore washer.
- Remove the lid switch/lock from the top panel. Using a 1/4 inch driver for nut, remove the 2 mounting screws which hold the lid lock to the top panel. Unlock the lid switch assembly from the top panel. The lid switch and lock assembly is attached to the wire harness. It is best to let it hang from wire harness. To remove the wire harness clips on the top panel employ a slot screwdriver. Pry out the wire harness in white plastic at the back of the panel’s front. The wire harness remains connected to the electronic control board that is inside the console. The white plastic clip must be taken off from the top of the panel. Don’t pull or remove the wire harness just yet.
- Open the console. Carefully lower its top panel and then place it on the top of the Kenmore washer. Pull the washer forward for access to the back of the console. Take the two screws off the upper part of the back panel. To let the mounting clip fall off move the control panel backwards , then slide a putty knife into the right edge. Repeat the procedure on the other side to release the console. Set the console on top of the Kenmore washer.
- The lid switch/lock is turned off. Find the connector for wire harness to the lid switch and lock. It is on the back side of the control board. Release the locking tab, and then pull the wire harness connector for the lid switch/locking assembly out of the electronic control board’s receptacle. The lid switch/lock wiring harness must be threaded into the hole located at the back of the top panel. Open the washer lid by release of the tape. Pull the lid switch/lock assembly from the washer. Tape the lid closed again.
- Install the new lid switch/lock assembly. Snap the console back into its clips for mounting. Moving the Kenmore washer to the wall behind it. Take the top panel off and set it up against the wall in the back behind the Kenmore washer. Push the end of the wire harness through the hole at the bottom of the panel. The white wire harness clip must be pushed through the hole. The wire harness needs to be inserted into the side panel on the top panel. Attach the wire harness with the clips at the edges of the panels on top. Attach the lid switch or lock assembly onto the top panel. Make sure it is secured using the mounting screws. Then, carefully lower the top panel. Engage the brackets by pulling the panel forward about one quarter inch until it drops and the brackets are engaged. Pull the panel back approximately quarter inch to ensure it is at a level with the frame. To gain access to the control board’s electronic circuit unclip the clips and then lift the console. Attach the wire harness to the connector of the controller board. The locking tab should lock into place.
- Install the console again: The console should be placed on top of the panel on top, then snap in the mounting clips to fix it to the top panel. Install the screws on top of back panel and tighten the screws.
- Install the screws for the back panel Screws back onto the top of the hinges that are on the back of the control console. Make sure that the screws are tightened. The tabs should be placed on the left side of the cover into the slots, then line up the holes on the left side and insert the mounting screw. Secure the wire cover by tightening the screw for mounting.
- Bring back power and water by turning on the water supply valves. Plug the Kenmore washer into the outlet for electricity. Restore the Kenmore washer to the original location. It is likely that you now know how to change the lid switch and lock assembly in a top-load Kenmore washer. It’s possible that the lid switch or lock isn’t working properly or the light on the lid lock flashes, which may indicate that it is time to replace it.