A Speed Queen washer that isn’t working effectively can create a myriad of problems, particularly in the event that it isn’t using hot or cold water. Not only is it a hassle to wash dirty clothes, it can be expensive to have professionals come in to solve the issue. However, most issues with hot and cold water in the Speed Queen washer can be resolved by the owner.
In this post, we’ll examine the common reasons why a washer has cold or hot water that isn’t working and provide step-by-step instructions on how to resolve the issue. From checking the water supply to troubleshooting the thermostat we will cover everything you’ll need to know in order to get your washer running efficiently once again. It can save you money by not having to fix an appliance that isn’t warm or cold.
Inlet Screens and Hoses:
Speed Queen washers are connected to the water supply by fill hoses. These hoses usually measure about 5 to 6 feet long and will usually include an aluminum or wire mesh screen inserted into the end of the hose, which connects to the faucet. The screen is designed to prevent debris from getting into the valve for water inlet located on the back of your appliance. How to examine the screens and hoses on the Speed Queen washing machine
- This is a simple check; you do not require disassembling your washing machine. Start by making sure that the faucets and hoses are in good condition.
- Turn off the faucets and disconnect the line of filling from the intake valve and look over the screens. Take out any debris or sediment you can find. To verify you have enough water pressure to fill your pipes, place the ends of the hose into an empty bucket or tub and switch on the faucet
- If you’re experiencing low pressure, inspect the screens in the hose to check for dirt or damages.
- If you come across issues in these inspections you will need Speed Queen replacement hoses & screens.
Water Inlet Valve:
The Water Inlet Valve of your Speed Queen washing machine supplies hot and cold water to the rinse and wash. Two solenoids control the inlets that supply cold and hot water. The valve is controlled through the electronic control, timer, and water temperature cycle selector. The valve is controlled by the timer or electronic control and the cycle selector for water temperature switch as well as the pressure/water level switch. How to test the valve that opens water for a Speed Queen washing machine using the aid of a multimeter.
- Before beginning this test be sure your washing machine is unplugged from the power and water supply.
- In order to take out the valve to conduct testing, you will need to remove all or part of your Speed Queen cabinet for your washer. The valve is in the middle of the hose connection.
- If you notice evidence of cracking, damage or wear, visually examine the Speed Queen washer’s valve. It has screens within it, which could have built up dirt or other debris, in which case it must be cleaned with care. If these screens become damaged, you will need to replace the whole valve.
- The resistance of a properly functioning valve will vary from model to model. Refer to your manual to learn what your reading should be. Put the probes onto the valve’s terminals using the RX1 setting of your multimeter.
- If you don’t receive an indication of continuity, you’ll need a Speed Queen replacement valve for the water intake.
The lid switch in a top load Speed Queen washing machine is a safety feature created to prevent the motor circuit from working when the lid is opened. In some models the circuit for water inlet is also controlled. The models come with an auxiliary switch on the lid that regulates the power source. If you have determined that the water inlet valve on your Speed Queen washer isn’t receiving power, then you should examine the lid switch. How to check the lid switch on the lid of a Speed Queen washer:
- Before you start, you must make sure that your Speed Queen washer is disconnected from the outlet.
- In order to locate the switch, you must take the cabinet off or the top panel. After you locate it, check that the levers and actuators are not sticking or damaged and also that the switch is being operated mechanically.
- If there is no issue in the above scenario, you can remove the switch in order to test it for continuity. Then set your multimeter to Rx1.
- As you press the switch’s buttons, make sure you touch the terminals with probes. The probes should touch the terminals with a force of zero to almost zero.
- If you have a different reading, you’ll require a Speed Queen replacement lid switch.
Selector Switch, also known as a Water Temperature Switch:
The selector switch or the water temperature switch is used to select the temperature of the water for the rinse or wash portion of the cycle. This switch will give power to the proper solenoids on the water inlet valve. If there is no power at the solenoids on the water inlet valve it is possible that the temperature selector switch is in error. How to test the switch of theSpeed Queen washing machine using a multi-meter:
- It is necessary to disconnect the Speed Queen washer before you are able to test it and remove electrical components.
- To test your appliance, remove the switch that controls your selector. You will also need to dismantle any or all of the cabinets in the washer. In most models, it is attached to the frame of the Speed Queen washing machine.
- It is your job to test the buttons on the switch one at each. Start by placing probes onto the button’s terminals. Your reading should be infinity. Then press the button to change to zero. After that, press the button once more to switch the reading back into infinity.
- If you receive readings that aren’t in line with the descriptions above You will have to replace the selector switch by Speed Queen.
Water Level Pressure Switch:
The water level switch is a pressure-activated switch which is part of the water inlet valve circuit. This switch is normally situated in the back of the control panel and will include a hose or a dome tube that connects it to the tub. For Speed Queen washers that use an electronic control, the switch could be located at the sump below the tub. The switch could stop providing power to the valve for water supply when it’s damaged. Test the water level control switch in theSpeed Queen washing machine:
- As with most repairs, disconnect the power source to your Speed Queen appliance before starting.
- Although the switch could be the cause, a faulty air dome hose can cause the same symptoms as an unreliable switch. Rule out the hose as the issue by opening your cabinet for your washer and removing the air dome the hose. One end is sealed blow it into the other side when the hose is submerged in water. There should be no bubbles will rise to the surface.
- Switch off the appliance to inspect it for signs of damage, wear or cracking. The switch is most likely located in the sump area under the tub or behind your control panel.
- If you find any flaws on your part while carrying out the tests above it is possible that you require Speed Queen replacement water level switch.
Timer or Electronic Control:
The timer or electronic control is used to identify whether the valve that is used to supply water receives electricity. The mechanical timer will have several electrical contacts operated by a motor that is small and cams. During the fill, wash and rinse parts of the cycle these contacts will provide power to the water inlet valve circuit. How to test the timer control in theSpeed Queen washing machine using the aid of a multi-meter
- Unplug the Speed Queen washing machine and take off the control panel as well as the rear panel to find the timer.
- The timer needs to be taken off of your Speed Queen washer Do not pull directly on the wires, instead pull on the metal connectors which are attached to the wires.
- The probes should be placed at the motor’s end. It is testing for continuity. You should receive the reading as zero or nearly zero.
- If your test produces an unrelated result it is time to get a Speed Queen timer replacement. A Speed Queen washer that does not have hot or cold water can be an unsettling issue that may be challenging to resolve, but the solution is usually quite easy.
If you follow the steps described in this article, you’ll be able to diagnose and fix common issues like clogged hoses faulty valves, and incorrect water temperature settings. Before you attempt any repair to your Speed Queen washer, remove it from the. If there are any issues read the instruction manual or speak to a professional. You can fix your Speed Queen washer back in working order quickly and efficiently with just a little patience and time. It will also save you from the hassle of washing clothes , and the cost of repair.