A burning smell coming from your Frigidaire washing machine can be a cause for concern, as it may indicate the presence of a serious issue that needs to be dealt with immediately. There are many reasons why this can occur, including worn bearings, malfunctioning belts or motors. In this article, we will discuss the common causes of an unpleasant smell emanating from a Frigidaire washing machine. We’ll also give step-by-step instructions on how to identify and fix the issue. We’ve got you covered no matter if you are facing a minor issue or a major problem. You can easily solve any Frigidaire washer with an odor that is burning and get back to normal laundry without problems if you choose the proper approach.
Top loading Frigidaire washers have a belt which drives the transmission. The belt could be the source of problem if the Frigidaire washer stops agitating. How to determine the condition of yourFrigidaire washing machine’s drive belt is in need of being replaced:
- Disconnect the power source of your Frigidaire before you begin.
- It is necessary to remove off the clamps that hold the drive belt in place. Connected to the drive motor will be the belt. To reach the belt you’ll need to take off the back panel or cabinet.
- After removing the belt, look it over for fraying, cracking or burning.
- You can replace your belt using Frigidaire replacement belt in case you encounter any issues.
Top load Frigidaire washers use the belt to run the drain pump. It’s usually an ordinary V-shaped belt which is connected to the drive motor to a pulley that is attached to the drain pump. There might also be an idler pulley assembly to provide tension on the belt. You should inspect your Frigidaire washer’s pump belt if you notice a burnt rubber smell. How do you determine the condition of your Frigidaire washer pump belt needs to be replaced:
- Disconnect your washer from the main power source, then unlock the cabinet.
- To check the pump belt, locate it and take it off. The belt is tied to the pulley of the drive motor. To remove it then you’ll have to take out the clamps that hold it in the place.
- Check your pump’s visual appearance for indications of wear, burn fraying, or damage.
- You’ll need to replace your Frigidaire pump belt in the event that your belt displays any of the following symptoms.
The drive motor uses a pulley to turn the pump or drive belts. Motor pulleys are made from metallic or synthetic materials to make sure that they are in contact with the belts. The pulley can become worn or rusted, causing excessive friction, excessive heat, or wear and tear to the belt. This can cause an unpleasant burning smell. How to examine the motor pulley of the Frigidaire washing machine
- Before beginning this inspection, unplug your Frigidaire washer.
- To check the motor pulleys, locate it and pull it out. It will be necessary to take out the cabinet in order to do this as well as taking off any belts that connect to the motor pulley.
- Check your motor’s pulley for any accumulations of dirt, grease, or other substances and for indications of wear, damage, or burning. If your pulley has damage or wear, you’ll be required to replace it using a Frigidaire replacement.
The drain pump on a Frigidaire washing machine is utilized to move the water from the wash tub prior to and during the spin. It can be motor driven either belt driven or electric. The smell of burning coming from the Frigidaire washing machine at or after the spin cycle might be a sign that the drain pump is seized and preventing it from rotating. For models driven by belts the smell of burning emanates from the belt slipping on the pump pulley. Models with an electric drain pump will smell like an electric motor. How to inspect drain pump in theFrigidaire washing machine
- Disconnect the source of power from the appliance and then take off the cabinet or front panel.
- Once you’ve found the pump, inspect all connections and hoses which are coming out of it to identify the source. If there are any issues it is time to repair the connector or the hose.
- If the leak originates from the pump itself it will require a Frigidaire replacement pump.
Idler Pulley wheel and Idler Pulley Arm
Some models of top load Frigidaire washers utilize an idler pulley system to provide tension on the pump belt or drive. If the idler pulley becomes seized or if the idler arm does not pivot freely, then proper tension on the belt can’t be maintained and excessive friction or slippage of the belt will occur and cause the belt to heat up resulting in an unpleasant smell. How to inspect theFrigidaire washing machine’s idler arm and wheel:
- Verify that you have removed the Frigidaire washer from its power source before beginning the process, then open your washer’s cabinet.
- Find and examine your idler pulley wheel and arm. Find indications of wear, cracking, burning, and damage. The drive belt will be connected to the pulley, and you will need to disconnect it in order to inspect the pulley. To unwind the belt simply tilt an idler pulley to the drum to decrease the tension on the belt enough to allow it to slide off.
- Check the wheel of the pulley to ensure it spins smoothly with minimal resistance and is not wobbly.
- You will need a replacement idler pulley wheel or arm in case you encounter issues with the above tests.
Direct Drive Motor Coupling
Some top load Frigidaire washers employ a direct drive motor coupling instead of a belt in order to transfer power from the motor to the transmission. The drive coupling is constructed comprised of two drive forks, as well as an elastic coupling. It connects the motor to the transmission. One drive fork connects to the shaft of the drive motor and the other is attached to the transmission input shaft. The rubber coupling between the drive forks absorbs force and keeps them from breaking as the motor shaft turns. Normal wear and tear will result on the coupling. Eventually the drive forks can slide off and create burns. How do you inspect the direct drive motor coupling of a Frigidaire washing-machine’s direct drive motor coupling
- Similar to other inspections you should ensure that the Frigidaire has not been disconnected from the electricity source.
- To examine your Frigidaire washer, you’ll require removing the coupling. In order to access it, you’ll need to remove all or a part of the cabinet for your washer. Depending on the model of your washer, you may be required to take out the drain pump or motor.
- Take a look at the coupling of the motor to determine if it is showing signs of wear, cracking, damage or burning.
- You’ll need a new Frigidaire direct drive motor coupling when you encounter issues with the motor coupling.
Some models of top load washers from Frigidaire use a clutch assembly to drive washing baskets during the spin cycle. If your Frigidaire washer is emitting a burning smell, it could be due to an old clutch. It could also make a loud scraping sound during the spin cycle. A worn clutch can also be identified by shavings and brake dust under the Frigidaire washing machines. How to inspect the clutch assembly of aFrigidaire washing machine:
- After disconnecting the appliance from the power source, open your Frigidaire cabinet for the washer in order to locate the clutch unit.
- To carefully inspect the clutch, remove it from the Frigidaire appliance. It’s located beneath the outer tub attached to the drive unit for the basket. You may need to take the drive motor and transmission off, depending on the model.
- Inspect your clutch assembly for signs of damage, burning, fraying, or wear.
- If you observe any of these symptoms then you’ll need an Frigidaire replacement clutch assembly.
Glide and Spring
Some Frigidaire washing machine models employ spring-and-glide arrangements for their drive motors for belt tensioning. The drive motor will usually include a pivot mount that is attached to the base frame , and springs that provide tension. In order for the motor to slide along the Frigidaire washer base frames, the glide is made of nylon or lubricated is attached to the bottom. This will allow the drive belt and/or pump belts to slide slightly as the motor begins to spin and functions as a clutch. If the glide does not slide smoothly, then the belts may become hot and emit a smoky smell. How to inspect the spring and glide of the Frigidaire washing machine.
- Before you start, unplug the Frigidaire washer.
- Remove the front of the washer to find the glide(s) and spring(s). The drive motor spring and glides by getting rid of the front panel.
- Verify that the motor’s pivot point is correctly The springs aren’t stretched, and make sure the surface is clear of any dirt or corrosion.
- If possible, inspect the glides for signs of wear or burn.
- Frigidaire replacement springs might be required when you find any issues or broken parts in these tests.
In most Frigidaire washers, the main drive motor functions to manage the mechanical functions of the wash cycles like agitation or tumble and spin. The drive motor can also be utilized for the operation of the drain pump. When a fault or defect occurs in one of the motor-driven parts, it can cause the drive motor to overheat and produce an unpleasant smell. If the problem is significant it is possible that the drive motor will overheat enough to fail. The most frequent sign of a failing drive motor is a buzzing or humming noise when the motor is starting. Here’s how you can check the drive motor on an Frigidaire washer:
- After you’ve confirmed that your washer is unplugged remove the cabinet and put it back in your Frigidaire appliance.
- To test the motor of the drive to test the drive motor, remove it. There are multiple wires connected to the drive motor. Connect the metal connectors but not the wires.
- You are testing the motor’s continuity and also the connection to ground. In both tests, your multimeter should be set at Rx1. To check continuity, you can touch the probes to the motor terminals. The result should be that is close to or even zero.
- It is possible to test for a ground connection by placing one probe at the terminal and touching the other to its metal housing. This should not produce any readings.
- If your multimeter readings aren’t in line with the above, you’ll need a replacement Frigidaire drive motor.